My Ranch

My Ranch

Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Hunt

We are at our ranch in Blocksburg where my grandparents live. I woke up before the sun was anywhere in sight, I got dressed and put my boots on and went outside to wait for my dad. The air was cold but there was barely any wind. My dad came outside and we walked down to the other house where my great grandparents used to live. We got our guns out of the old house loaded them and took off. We walked past the barn and we could tell the wind was blowing up the hill so we walked to the top it takes about 20 minutes to hike to the top of our ranch. It starts out in the pepper wood trees and its dead silent, the birds aren't awake yet. Then we get to the edge of the bull pasture and follow the fence to the top while the bull watches us walk. I can now see the sunlight over the mountains, we started walking towards the back of our ranch we stopped to look for deer on the hillside like we always do but it was too early. We walked for maybe 15 minutes and then my dad spotted a set of antlers about 30 yards away. It was a sleeping buck. It had been able to watch us walk for 100 yards but luckily it was asleep. We were out in the open with no where to hide so we crouched down and then it saw us. It looked at us and stood up so we stood up and I aimed my gun and heard my dad say shoot it. I pulled the trigger and watched the buck drop and roll off a small hill. My adrenaline was pumping when we walked up to it I hit it right where I aimed, I hit it in the neck and killed it instantly. After gutting the buck we walked back to the house and me and my grandpa went to get and he helped me skin it.

7 comments:




  1. Its really great to here on how a person can get the upper hand on a massive animal. Stealth is probably the most important factor in hunting.Looks like a nice buck with a good looking rifle.

    ReplyDelete

  2. That is a cool story. How much did it weigh. That is nice to have you own land to go hunt on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. truly magnificent animal you harvested there great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a good story Zander, I like that you used real life experience in your blog post. It could have used more detail to paint a better picture but you get your point across just fine. You do a really good job I look forward to seeing what you have to post in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been hunting, but I really enjoy the outdoors and I liked how you described waking up before the sun came out and how it was cold. You described it well and I could picture the ranch and some of the scenery. This is a great story and good job at shooting it right where you aimed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been hunting, but I really enjoy the outdoors and I liked how you described waking up before the sun came out and how it was cold. You described it well and I could picture the ranch and some of the scenery. This is a great story and good job at shooting it right where you aimed.

    ReplyDelete