My Ranch

My Ranch

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hound Hunting

In 2013, they made it illegal to hunt bears with hound dogs of any breed in California.  California has a population of about 33,000 black bears and that number will be rising without the help of dogs while hunting them. In 2012, there were 1,962 black bears killed in California and in 2013 there were about 1,000 killed and that is a big difference. Since the ban there has been about a 40% decrease in bears killed and more and more bears have been spotted in neighborhoods.

The Los Angeles Times has an article talking about the ban on bear hunting with dogs and a California Department of Fish and Wildlife spokesman said they are an average of about 24,000 bear tags sold every year and in 2013 they only sold 18,904 tags. California made this ban because they thought the bear population might get really low and they didn't want them to get wiped out, but now there are too many bears and I think the ban should be removed because a lot of people that hunted with dogs still use dogs because if you have a bunch a hunting dogs and all of a sudden you can't hunt with them anymore you are left with a bunch of useless dogs.

Now I've never hunted bears before but I know if I ever see one on my ranch i'm probably going to shoot it to protect our cows. People use dogs to track deer if they wound one because dogs are good a tracking and it's what they were made to do and everyone needs to realize they can ban hound hunting but they can't get rid of it. Bears are going to continue to show up in populated areas if they are not being hunted more and people are going to get attacked and killed by aggressive black bears.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post Zander, I totally agree. I used to bear hunt all the time with hounds and it was a pretty big part of my life. It sucks that the took it away from us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool view on Hound hunting, awesome facts, I never knew this was illegal. Since the population has increased I totally support your ideas on lifting these restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know more now! I have never hunted bears in my life and hunting bears without a dog honestly sounds scary! Please keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree the ban on bear hunting with dogs was made in good intention for the bears but not with good intention of the safety of the people hunting them or of people who live next areas populated buy bears. What do you think hunters that fallow the law will end up doing with there now useless dogs and what will happen if there caught hunting bears with the dogs? Its a great post I'd like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with this I have never seen a bear on my grandpas ranch and now there everywhere. We can't leave the house without seeing at least one and my grandpa can't go on his walks without a gun. But seeing how he dosen't want to kill a mamma bear he never could get ride of them because of the cubs

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have always wanted to try hunting as my family goes every season but i have yet to tag along with. Good to know that it's dangerous to bring along dogs while hunting for bears! I'll kepp that in mind if i ever plan on going.

    ReplyDelete